Monday, June 25, 2012

Wifely duties: Walking the dogs

This weekend was filled with interesting experiences while walking the poochies. 

On Saturday I made an executive decision and we finally drove down to the Haw River to check out the walking route that Steve and Cindy Jones walk. It was a tad over grown so we didn't go far but camped at a cluster of rocks and threw the ball for the dogs. We didn't have to stay there long for the dogs to get tired since they had to swim back up stream to return the ball to us. That was hilarious to watch. They'd be paddling towards the ball like they always do and then they'd hit the current and their whole body would turn sideways but they'd still be paddling towards the ball. 

As we were making our way back to the car we heard some voices up ahead. Then I rounded a corner and could vaguely see a couple people ahead of us, it looked like they were walking away from us (hehe I was wrong). The dogs were up ahead so I hurried a bit to catch up and reel them in. I barely got a couple steps farther before I saw it....a full moon....and it was still daylight out. 

So those voices we heard? They were definitely the girl making happy noises. I flushed, called the dogs back and told Steven to stop b/c they were "#@&*($# up there". Steven started laughing immediately. 

We give it a second, they collect themselves and their clothes and moved on towards the parking lot. We followed on, but they kept stopping to canoodle again. I didn't even bother stopping the dogs from saying "hi" I figured they didn't have a leg to stand on if they were going to give us crap for having the dogs off leash. It got to be annoying waiting for them to move along so I finally called out, "Hey, if you want to wait for us to pass, you can get back to what you were doing." They must have liked this option b/c they pulled off the trail immediately and let us pass them. As we walked by I said, "Nice ass, by the way" and we giggled our way back to the car. 

Wish I had my camera for that one.  

On Sunday, while Steven rode his road bike with a couple guys, I took the dogs to Rocky Road for a stroll. I enjoy this trail b/c it's typically vacant except for a couple mtn bikers. Plus it has a section of trail that borders a big stream so the dogs have plenty of chances to get in the water. As we made our way down the trail I let the dogs run down the banks where it's easy enough and then I throw the ball for them for a couple turns each. At one of these points, the dogs are all in the water while I'm on the bank and I toss the ball out into the stream. My eye's casually drift downward until I see a really big black stick. I'm thinking, "huh, that's a strange looking sti...OH MY GOD THAT'S A BIG F*(@&ING SNAKE!!!" Haha, I literally jumped back. Thankfully it's a black snake and not a poisonous or aggressive snake. 


Sorry for the piss poor picture, it's from my phone and I might have been a bit wobbly. I contemplated throwing a stick at it...but if it's a black racer, then it's aggressive and it would charge me. And while it is harmless, that's still really freaky. So instead I walked down the trail some and called the dogs to me, trying to get them to avoid running by the snake (for a 3rd time). All of them, in their infinite wisdom ran right by the damn thing. That was the last time I let them run down the bank without me inspecting it first. Apparently they're snake-dumb. 

After their last ball tossing session in the stream I sent Gunnar and Rhea screaming through the woods to try and dry them off a bit more. By the end of the walk, Gunnar was Mr. Spider Face. 


Lots and lots and lots of spider webs out there that day. I got my fair share too. What puzzled me is they would reappear in places I'd already walked not a few moments before. As if they're just waiting for someone to tear down their masterpiece so they could build it again. I can deal with a lot of bugs, but I hate anything that touches my face. Be it flies or spider webs. Loath. Seriously loath. 

That pretty much sums up my weekend. Besides walking the dogs, seeing a random dudes bum and jumping from snakes I managed to cook a dinner one night, edit some photos and buy Michael's out of frames. 

Liz 

No comments:

Post a Comment